Adobe Audition CS5.5 is new generation of music producing software. Mastering with Adobe Audition CS5.5 is great experience. In this tutorial I am going to show you how to get studio quality vocals using Adobe Audition CS5.5.
Step 1. Setup recording track
The first thing you must do is to setup yours recording track correctly. That means you must set a MONO recording because mono track is better and easier to produce then stereo track. How to do that?
- Run Adobe Audition CS5.5
- Click on "Multitrack" mode
- Choose track you want record you vocal
- Click "Default Stereo Input" and choose MONO device
Step 2. Recording Vocals
Most of you think that the easier part of music making is recording process, well that is not true. Recording vocal is one of most important step in music making. Here are some basic facts you must know before you can learn anything else :
- Adjust Microphone Volume to avoid any "extra" and " unwanted" sound
- Distance between you and your mic must be minimum 15cm, the optimum is somewhere between 15-20cm
- If you are recording in you house make sure that you record you vocals in small room, and avoid any noise like cars, wind or something like that. You just want your vocal recorded not you neighbor.
Step 3. Mastering process
Mastering / Mixing your vocal is second most important step in song making process. No matter if you are rock singer, RnB or hip hop/rap artist you surely want clear and powerful vocal. In this post I am going to walk you trough some of most important effects you must use to get decent vocal quality.
The first effect that you must use is Amplify process. What is amplify process? Amplify process is great way to boost power and volume of your vocal, it is very useful if you using some cheap microphone with poor quality. How to do that?
- Record you vocal
- Go to "edit mode" or waveform
- Click Effects > Amplitude and Compression > Amplify..
- Then just choose one of present that fit to your vocal volume
- Click Effects > Amplitude and Compression > Dynamic Processing > Classic Soft knee
- Then click on "settings" and mark "Noise gating" (check out screenshot)
Next effect you must use Graphic Equalizer. Graphic eq is of greatest effect, this one give really nice quality to you vocals. How to use it?
Click Effects > Filter and EQ > Graphic Equalizer (20 Bands) > 20 bands Classic V.
Next effect is Parametric Equalizer.
Click Effects > Filter and EQ > Parametric Equalizer > Loudness Maximizer
Next effect you want to use is Reverb. Reverb is great effect if you are using some less quality microphone. Revereb effect will give to your vocal little delay and echo but not too much. How to use it?
Click on Effects > Reverb > Studio Reverb > Vocal Reverb (small)
|Studio Reverb (Small)|
And Last effect you need to use is Hard Limiting. Hard Limiting will make you vocals at same level ( no pops and pufs). How to use it?
Click Amplify and Compression > Hard Limiting > Light
Okay that is for now, this is some simple mastering tutorial please come back because I will introduce to you some more advanced tutorial that will help you to gain Studio Quality Vocals with Adobe Audition CS5.5.